Website Improvements

We are currently developing the website to improve our information, the way you can find information and to deliver more services online allowing you to access those services in a way that suits you.

View details of the location of Southwater One - the home of our new First Point and library.

Concessionary travel

Information and advice

Senior lady travelling on the bus

The Telford and Wrekin Concessionary Travel Scheme offers a number of different travel opportunities for residents who are age eligible, or people with disabilities who qualify under certain criteria, these are listed below.

From 1 April 2008 the Concessionary Travel Scheme includes the new English Concessionary Travel Pass, which allows free travel on local bus services throughout England, between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at any time on Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Within the Telford and Wrekin area you can travel from 9.30am except on routes where there is no service between 9.30am and 11pm and then we will accept the English Concessionary Travel Pass on the last journey before 9.30am. These journeys will be highlighted on the relevant timetables.

How do I apply for concessionary travel?
To apply for concessionary travel you must complete an application form. To get a copy of the form either:

  • Download the form
  • Pick up the form from your local First Point
  • Call the Concessionary Travel team on 01952 383867
  • Apply online

Please be advised that we will need to see documentation of your address for all new applications, and proof of age or disability depending on the type of concessionary applied for.

Your photograph will be taken when you bring your documentation to First Point offices. Please view our customer services page for details of your nearest First Point and their opening times.

If you are applying for an age related English Concessionary Travel Pass you can complete the form online and upload your photograph at the same time. Unfortunately this facility is not available for other concessionary travel options available to residents at this time. 

Concessionary Travel Pass renewal
You can now renew your pass using our online application form. You can also use this form to upload your new photograph.  

If you need a new photograph, as your appearance has changed, you can come to one of the Council's First Point offices to have a new photograph taken. There will be no charge for your new pass or photograph. 

Do I qualify for concessionary travel?
If you live permanently in Telford and Wrekin and you come within at least one of the groups listed below, you may be entitled to concessionary travel:

  • from 6 April 2010 the age of eligibility for concessionary travel for women will be pension age and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day.  If you are unsure when you qualify for concessionary travel you can use the ready reckoner(please remember to tick female even if you are male) 
  • you are registered blind or partially sighted, having either total or a high degree of visual loss
  • you are profoundly or severely deaf and/or without speech
  • you have a disability or injury which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • you have no arms, or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  • you have a learning disability
  • you have been, or would be refused a driving license, on certain medical grounds

Which concessions are available?
Available for people of pensionable age (please see ready reckoner for eligibility), or disabled and impaired people.

If you choose not to take up the English Concessionary Travel Pass and you are disabled or mobility impaired you may choose one of the following concessions:

  • national travel tokens - worth £30, but there is no cost (subject to status)
  • the disabled persons railcard - The subsidised annual cost is £10. Offers up to one third off most national rail travel
  • Dial-a-Ride - disabled or mobility impaired people who qualify for the English Concessionary Travel Pass may also be eligible for Dial-a-Ride. There is a £2 registration fee plus a charge of £1 per trip. The scheme allows door to door transport within the urban area of Telford. Please complete a Dial a Ride application form.

Please note you will be asked to reapply every 12 months.

What if I need a carer to travel with me?
If you are unable to travel without assistance, you will be entitled to a special travel pass entitling a companion to travel with you on production of entitlement to carer's allowance, (this does not need to be the same carer every time). Travel for the companion will be restricted to journeys that start within the Telford and Wrekin area only and usual time restrictions will apply.  

Last updated 11/07/2014

How do you rate this page?

Concessionary Travel

Address: Revenues and Benefit Services
Telford & Wrekin Council
Addenbrooke House

Tel: 01952 383867

New for you graphic

Information on...